It is time to hire a manager for your paralegals, but instead of hiring a skilled manager, you decide to promote your best paralegal. So, your outstanding paralegal moves from the role they excel at and enjoy to a role they are unfamiliar with and unprepared for. You both have high expectations, but with little training, in just a few short months they decide that they are terrible at managing others and are unhappy with their job. Now not only do your paralegals still need the guidance of a skilled manager, but you’ve also lost your best paralegal and need to train someone for that position too.
- This is known as The Peter Principle, which states “a person performing well in a role eventually rises to their own level of incompetence.” Said another way, an employee will be promoted until they are no longer competent to perform the job they have been promoted to.
- Your firm is only as good as its team! To keep quality clients, you need to hire the best job candidates.
- When looking to fill a management position look for candidates that possess a managerial skill set and resist the temptation to promote your best employee unless they have demonstrated the skills needed for the new position!
2020 Super Lawyers nomination window is open!
Even if you’ve been selected in the past, you need to make sure your profile is up to date to be considered. Set up a 20-minute review to make sure you’re positioned for success in the selection process.
- The candidate you choose should not only fulfill the requirements of the job description, but they should also have a good balance between being an empathetic ear and a voice of authority to their employees. Hire someone whose strengths complement your weaknesses. Then have faith enough to let them carry out their role. They should think enough like you to know how you would want things done but have the initiative to make decisions on their own so that you are free to do the things you are good at.
- Here’s Why It Matters To You. Choosing the right candidate the first time ensures that you will not waste time correcting mistakes made by an unqualified employee or on needing to go back to square one in the hiring process.
- I have successfully helped many small firms in the area build a winning legal team! To learn more about how I can help your firm, set a free consultation by clicking below.
Josh is a brilliant marketer
Josh is a brilliant marketer and phenomenal results-driven digital marketing strategist. He’s great at bringing new ideas to the table and more importantly, making sure they are executed at a high level.
He stays on top of the trends, he’s diligent and he’s enjoyable to work with. I genuinely enjoy working with Josh and can recommend him as an asset to any organization looking for marketing expertise.
You would be fortunate to have Josh
I have had the pleasure of knowing and working with Josh for several years now. Josh is an approachable, efficient, team leader in an incredibly competitive legal industry. When you work with Josh it quickly becomes apparent that he has an extensive knowledge of digital marketing combined with a creative and keen sense of knowing what your specific needs are, and how to best create and implement a successful marketing strategy for your company. In a world that literally changes daily, you would be fortunate to have Josh as your quarterback leading your team.
I would definitely recommend Josh
I’ve had the pleasure of working with Josh for several years. Josh has always gone above and beyond for our firm. His expertise and forwarding thinking approach to our marketing needs has helped us succeed. I would definitely recommend Josh for anyone who is looking to effectively grow their law practice.
Josh is great!
Josh is great! He’s accessible, responsive and is incredibly knowledgeable. He’s always around to help me no matter how mundane my issue or stupid my question. I always enjoy meeting with him, and I’ve seen incredible results from his work. Cannot recommend Josh Corbelli enough.